Explore the Standards for Excellence Code
The foundation of the Standards for Excellence program is the Standards for Excellence Code: An Ethics and Accountability Code for the Nonprofit Sector. The Code helps organizations strengthen boards, manage risk, realize new efficiencies, fulfill legal and regulatory requirements or otherwise build capacity to advance their missions.
In 2015 PANO released the 2.0 version of the Standards for Excellence Code! Check out the New and Improved Standards for Excellence webinar recording to learn about all the new and exciting changes!
- 2017 Standards for Excellence Codebook914.28 K | 10/11/2017
Educational Resource Packets and Trainings
The 27 Standards for Excellence® educational resource packets provide accurate, up-to-date and legally-reviewed information on a variety of nonprofit topics, including board governance, financial controls, human resources and sample policies. All packets are free for PANO Members and only $15 regular price.
- 2.0 Educational Resource Packet Overview154 K | 10/15/2018
- Standards for Excellence Trainings442.97 K | 10/15/2018
- Fire/EMS Administrator Course
The Pennsylvania State Fire Academy is offering this 24-hour Fire and EMS Administrative Officer Course to educate those in administrative leadership positions at volunteer or staffed Fire/EMS organizations on nonprofit management including: managing the business of the organization, board management and governance, managing human resources, risk management, and more. The course is based largely on the Standards for Excellence curriculum.298.92 K | 12/3/2018
- Board Evaluation Matrix Tool
This tool gives you a snapshot of your board's make-up and assists you with board recruitment needs. Many thanks to George Higgins, board member of the Friends of the Railroad Museum in Strasburg, for enhancing the form.465.5 K | 10/14/2015
- Board of Directors and Staff Annual Checklist
Use this free checklist to ensure your board is fulfilling its operational and fiduciary responsibilities on an annual basis and staff are overseeing operational components.41.5 K | 7/11/2018
- Fundraising Materials Evaluation Tool
Review your solicitations and acknowledgements with this free checklist.34.63 K | 4/11/2018
- Fundraising Ratio Calculator Spreadsheet
Calculate your organization's fundraising ratio using information from your IRS Form 990.26 K | 7/5/2013
- Formulario 990 Lista de Cotejo de Relaciones Públicas para Organizaciones 501 (c)( 3)
La siguiente lista de cotejo provee a la organización un conjunto de directrices clave que afectan cómo el público lee su “historia”.565.95 K | 7/8/2014
- Form 990 Public Relations Checklist
This list is intended for internal use with nonprofit administrators and board members in reviewing the Form 990 from a donor and funder's perspective.494.61 K | 11/8/2012
- Summary of Disclosure Requirements on Solicitations and Acknowledgments
Have you checked your fundraising solicitations and acknowledgments recently to make sure they have the required disclosure statements. Check out this resources that you can incorporate into your fundraising procedures to ensure you “get the disclosures right!”128.77 K | 5/6/2015
- Third Party Fundraising Guide
The Third-Party Fundraising guide contains examples, templates and suggestions to help you create policies and procedures for successful third-party partnerships and fundraising events. We are grateful to PANO volunteer David Walker, for his research and effort in creating this resource.383.12 K | 11/8/2012
Quick Reference for IRS Quid Pro Quo Rules
Learn the ins and outs of the IRS rules for properly documenting financial gifts from donors. Includes guidelines for contributions when no goods or services are received by the donor, amounts for low cost items, etc.
- Quid Pro Quo Quick Reference
Explanation of the IRS "Quid Pro Quo" Rule - updated 2018126.75 K | 2/13/2018
The Standards for Excellence offers training programs on all aspects of the Standards code. In addition we can provide custom training to meet your organization's needs.
Did you miss a webinar you wanted to attend? Recordings of our webinars can now be purchased!
Contact Tish Mogan | 717-236-8584 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to our 2016 Codebook Sponsors!
Special thanks to the following for their endorsement of the Standards for Excellence Program in PA through their Code Book sponsorship:
PNC Institutional Investments
How do I access the Standards for Excellence Education Packets?
How to Shop for Standards Educational Resource Packets:
1) LOGIN to PANO's website (Be sure to shop on behalf of yourself, NOT on behalf of your organization.)
2) Click "Online Store", select "Merchandise" from the drop-down menu and click "Go."
3) Choose an Ed Packet by clicking on the name. When the merchandise details page displays, click "Add to Cart."
4) You can add additional packets, or other items, to your cart by clicking "Continue Shopping" and repeating step 2. (Use the drop-down menu and click "Go" to find other items such as programs, publications and donation opportunities!)
5) When you have added all of the items you wish to download or purchase to your shopping cart, click "Check Out."
How To Access My Downloaded/Purchased Educational Resource Packets:
1) After you process your order, click "My Transactions" (left side bar).
2) You will see your packet(s) under "Downloadable Products." (Note: You can download each item five times within a one month period from the date of download/purchase. We recommend you save the item by opening the item and selecting "File" and then "Save As" from your toolbar.)
Please note: all Standards for Excellence® materials are copyrighted. PANO goes by the honor code and requests that downloaded Standards for Excellence® materials not be shared with any other organization(s) other than your own. Should another organization be interested in the materials, we ask that you please have them contact PANO staff:717-236-8584.
- Board of Directors and Staff Annual Checklist
- Standards for Excellence Trainings